The Party  

Posted by Durandal

I surveyed the guests as they began to fill almost all of the empty spaces available. It is so LOUD! I hate these people, and yet I hardly know any of them. They are all too simple, easy, but that is not unexpected. I can feel the energy they are producing around me. They have filled my house, every room, every inch of air and freedom I own… Bastards! Is that someone on the piano I hear? Damn, I told her not to let anyone touch that thing. Why she never listens to me I’ll never figure out. Perhaps she is cheating on me. Ha! Doesn’t matter, why should I care? I’m just the stupid guy who lives with her! Perhaps the band on her finger that cost me an arm and a leg is all she needed or wanted from me. I’m glad she’s reached her goals, heh, mine can wait I guess. What time is it? 11:24? Shit.
They all seem so happy, so glad to be a part of my scene, and yet not glad to see me. No, they want nothing to do with me. As long as I remain the shadow that passes between them they will of course be glad to give me that obligated smile or comment about my shirt as I pass, then they can feel relieved. Ha! Relieved knowing that they had done all they needed to do to hide the horrible truth that I mean nothing to them! Perhaps that doesn’t bother them, why should it? Why should it bother me? I am above them; I know why they give me these pathetic gestures of kindness so why should I care!?
Damn, I’m so thirsty. Maybe I need to start looking for a drink among this rambling band of assholes. What time is it!? 11:32… Damn it!

“Hey! David how are you?”

Oh what the hell is this!? Another meaningless attempt to convey care and affection I suppose. Should I continue this conversation that serves no benefit to either of us, who is this person anyway!? Must be one of HER friends. Ah! It must be her new lover. That would explain his uncontrollable eagerness to address me as if I ever actually cared about his existence. If he wants to relieve some guilt for messing with my wife, fine, I’ll grant it, after all, I am above this man!

“Oh, I’m fine, and you are?”

“David! You don’t remember? It’s me, Peter. We met at that baseball game, ring a bell? We spent most of the time chatting about my wedding plans. I am getting married next week you know.”

Damn it…

“Oh, that’s right. Sorry I don’t know how I forgot so easily. How is your wife to be?”

“She’s fine; I guess she’s around here somewhere. Say, don’t you need a drink in your hand? Maybe that’ll help your memory a bit, you think? Haha!”

The typical fool; trying his best to impress me with stupid jokes. This conversation was supposed to relieve his guilt, now I suppose he’s innocent enough. I’m ending this.

“Haha, well I guess I’ll go get one then. See you around.”

“No wait! Here take mine; ill go get another one.”

“Oh… no thank you, I’ll go get my own.”

Time? 11:47… Ugh…

“O c’mon, here just take my…”

“NO THANK YOU!”

Oh God, have I frightened the poor helpless man? What a dumb look on his face. Why is he so surprised? I told him the first time, that I don’t want his damn drink!

“Ooook, jeez, David, sorry man; just wanted make things easier for yah.”

“No it’s ok, I’m sorry; I just want to get my own drink. Go on and enjoy the party; I’ll catch up with you later; if you’re still around.”

“Okay, see you later.”

Time? 11:53… That’s better anyways. God I’m so thirsty; a beer would be nice too. It is so LOUD in here! Why can’t they shut up!? With this kind of mindless rambling how can anyone even be sane? I hate these people! Maybe if I curl up in a ball here on the couch they won’t notice me and I can block out the sound. Ah, that’s better; pure darkness. I’m so glad she bought these cushions. At least they serve a purpose other than decoration. I just want silence, peace and quiet. Is it so hard to understand!? If only they would listen to me… It’s getting quieter… If only they had listened to me. Ah, that’s getting better, a lot quicker than I thought too; what time is it? 12:02… that would explain it. Perhaps I will get up and have a drink. Who is this man at my bar?

“Excuse me; could you lend me your seat sir?”

Such a nice gentleman; even gave me his drink too. That is nice of him, but I still want my own, ha! Perhaps I’ll go out somewhere and get a drink; I don’t think anyone will mind… not now anyway.

“Here, you can have your seat back now… You don’t want it? Okay, whatever.”

Hey! There’s Peter; maybe I’ll goodbye before I go; it’s important to be social these days and I don’t want to be rude by just leaving without a goodbye.

“Goodbye Peter. I’m going out for a drink, say, you want to come? No? Okay, I understand.”

Funny, Peter is always eager to join me for a drink; at least he was at that baseball game. Perhaps I got the wrong impression… Oh! Oops.

“Excuse me sir.”

There really are too many people in here. At least now they are quiet, the way they should be. What time is it? 12:22… I’m going out for a drink.

Next morning’s newspaper headline-
Midnight Party Murdered By Poisoned Drinks

0 comments

Post a Comment

Contributors